Saturday, October 23, 2010

Commit to Reading

How often do you find yourself reading an interesting book that changes your way of thinking? Or rather motivates you to do something you have never done before? Doesn't it feel great when we get ourselves into that reading mode, our whole perspective changes and the speed at which thoughts run in our heads trying to get in sync with different authors trying to understand what they want to convey.

 Reading is something we all do on a daily basis, but what matters is what you read. Does it affect you in any way? If so, how?


 When you read something that interests you, you want to read more of it, right? You want to learn more, be it a fiction or non-fiction, history, self-help, technology, etc;  you are always learning something when you read. Over the past few years, I have learnt more from reading quality books rather than from any other sources, not to forget the internet: the information storehouse. I believe books are a foundation where one’s mind expands to new horizons. Think about it! I don’t know about you but when I read (non-fiction), my mind starts to visualize what the author is trying to put across and I start to think outside the box.  I get a kick out of reading books that interests me and I am sure it’s the same for those of you who love to read.

 Books are our best friends. They teach us more than we expect to learn from, especially self-help and non-fiction books, they are Life Education. They are practical and empowering, be it Motivation, Inspiration, career, satisfaction, spirituality, health, relationships, creativity, etc. Whatever knowledge you are looking for is out there, you have to simply hunt it down and it can change you forever.

 I could go on with my experiences on how being committed to reading has changed my life, but it doesn’t make any sense because that is my change. I cannot squeeze all of that information into this article. But what I can do is share a few tips that will help you benefit the most out of reading.

Are you ready?

Ok, here you go...
  • Be hungry to learn and seek more knowledge. Then only will you have the motivation to read books.
  • Are you ready to change? It better be a “ Yes!”
  •  Be open-minded.
  • For twenty one days consistently, commit yourself to reading atleast ten pages. This builds a habit of reading.
  • Keep a dictionary handy, you never know when you might come across some new words.
  • If you are new to reading, start with small easy reading books.
  • Always carry a book with you, you might just get a few minutes to read few pages that might help you in some way or the other.
  • It’s no rule that you should keep your books clean, write on them, make notes on the margins. Treat your books like text books in school..Like everyone hated them. So never just read.
  • Make notes for future reference. There is so much reading we do, how much can we actually trust our memory with.
  • Implement what you learn if you want to change. This is the most important and is what will bring about change.
  • Be consistent in whatever you do.
  • Share your knowledge with others.

    I hope these tips help you get the best out of your reading experience.

    Have a great reading journey.

    Vishal D

    5 comments:

    Romit Jethwaney said... [Reply]

    Proud to be an avid reader. Great Pointers ;)

    Isha Shiri said... [Reply]

    Hello, thanks add me in Bloggers.com. I read all the posts and everything is very inspiring. I work with children in need and do charity, and it's always good to read about motivation.

    Your posts are great. I invite you to meet my blog "One day and two days" about charities.

    May the peace be upon you.
    Adelle

    Punam said... [Reply]

    Couldn't agree more. :) Books are a treasure we can have with us forever. I graduated from Phantom and Tinkle to Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and then M&B.. now, I am stuck to Robin Sharma type inspiring books. And again, I'd like to say here, that Robin Sharma's Family Wisdom has a very relevant point in case, that good (read inspiring) books are the best legacy we can pass on to our next generation.

    And the tips are great. I'd like to add that it's important to keep a notebook handy for writing down inspiring words and statements that we come across while reading books. I also have cultivated the habit of marking/underlining useful bits of information in books.

    I believe every penny spent on a book is a penny well-spent. :) Nice writeup.

    Unknown said... [Reply]

    I am glad we both think alike :-) I completely agree with what you just stated here!

    Inspiring Quotes said... [Reply]

    I appreciate the method you write your posts, incredibly skilled. I really could notice that you spent enough time and energy in composing your site as well as in discussing more information. I’ll take a note of your site as well as recommend it to my buddies.

    Post a Comment

    Your Feedback is Appreciated