Sunday, June 5, 2011

Be Truly Present

   

        Over the past few weeks, I’ve been reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and it really has me thinking. It’s been helping me to contemplate my life currently and how I can change it for the better. I have recently discovered that life has many options like the numerous chip choices one would find in higher end vending machines. The only thing, I as a conscious human being needs to do, is be thankful for and aware of all the beautiful things in the world around me!

The Power of Now teaches the reader how to be truly present. Whether the present moment is full of happiness, sorrow, or anger. If you are able to become truly in the moment you can learn to control your mood and enhance the outcome of the moment as a whole. Becoming truly present is an important skill to develop if you are to looking to become genuinely happy. If you are able to control your sadness and anger, as well as deeply feel your happiness, I think you are on the brink of something truly special: contentment…..

This past weekend I was able to exercise being truly present while getting a huge tattoo on my arm. It was a 3-hour process with only a short 10TATT pic-minute cigarette break in between the outline and the full-color of the piece. I can honestly say, that even though I have other tattoos on other painful places like my foot, my ribs, and my wrist, my shoulder piece was the most painful thing I have yet to experience in my lifetime. I do believe that if the piece was done in two sittings I would have been just fine, but that wasn’t the case. It hurt like hell! But I’m glad I experienced it, because not only do I have a beautiful piece of work on my shoulder, I also have a better understanding of what degree of pain I can personally tolerate.

While in the tattoo artist’s chair I had back and forth thoughts that involved trying to meditate on being the sole occupant of a pure, white room wearing silky white pajamas and relaxing to the sounds of the ocean outside the window (like I did during my rib tattoo). But this time I wanted to try and be truly present. Present with the pain and present with the mental strength I was capable of in that moment. I succeeded admirably to my surprise. The artist and my present companion both told me I handed myself better than they thought they ever could! I was happy when the whole deal was over because then the pain would finally subside a bit. I was even happier at how I was able to remain present and conscious of what was taking place.

This might sound petty compared to the moments in your life that require deep focus and mental presence, but this is just the most recent example I could provide to you that expresses what I mean when I say it’s important to always be “truly present”. It’s an amazing feeling to really embrace the moment, every moment in your life. Most people forget how to feel absolutely because they are distracted by the every day hustle and bustle. Not this girl! I’m happy to say I strive to live every moment truly and deeply!

Cheers

Meg

Writing on behalf of http://www.evending.com

5 comments:

Vidya Sury said... [Reply]

I love that tattoo. It is fabulous! I've heard a lot about the The Power of Now and now I am motivated to read it. Very nice post. Thank you.

Unknown said... [Reply]

Hey Vidya,
I am glad you are motivated to read the book.
You can thank Meg for writing such a brilliant article.

Kavitha said... [Reply]

Hey Vishal,

That makes me want to read the book...thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Unknown said... [Reply]

Hey Kavitha,
thank Meg, as she is a guest writer for my blog :-)

Living Quotes said... [Reply]

Great information you've provided us with here. Thanks so much for sharing. Nice site too...

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is Appreciated